2009/05/03

Nonsense: Dog Lovers

We love dogs in two meanings. First, we love them by raising them like family members. The other side, we love them by eating them. As the monk confessed in the movie of Shaolin Temple, Meat and wine through my guts, yet Buddha stays with me. It is a proof of how Chinese to philosophically maintain a balance between good and evil, meanwhile an evidence that we know well a tree is no forest. Making a delicious dish with dog meat does little harm to our perception that dogs are people's best mates.

      To ponder this phenomenon, one needs to know a little bit knowledge about Chinese style of thinking. There around China has long been a saying, Eating comes first. It does not matter what you eat, what matters is that you eat to live. To live, over the history of China, had been a tough job. According to the history, Chinese favored Clay of Bohdisattva, a white kind of clay, as food substitutes in the times of crop failures. Under such circumstance and environment, winners were those that survive. So if dogs could help us survive, their souls would grab their salvation in the heaven of Chinese.

      You must have witnessed that nowadays many Chinese consider eating dogs as a crime that could not be forgiven. Dogs are their children and a Chinese firmly believe even fierce cats like tigers won't eat their babies, not to mention human beings, civilized and full of emotions. Yet many of us eat dogs, which is based on the said idea. Dog eaters leave everything behind while eating. They exchange eating experiences and talk about good recipes. They are gourmets or amateur gourmets, in whose eyes, there probably is nothing tabooed in what to eat.

      I don't eat dogs I raise. I eat dogs in the manner of a mild hypocrisy, i.e. I only eat them without seeing the killing procedures. Actually for my life I can count the times I ate dogs. As a heavy consumer of pork, I pray to God the Lord, peace upon all the hogs I've eaten through my life. Amen.

没有评论:

发表评论